AMP's electric smart meters, which are manufactured by Landis & Gyr, emit about 83 seconds of total transmissions per day during normal operations.
- The meters transmit data packets an average of seven times per day. There are additional maintenance and sync transmissions each day.
- 270 maintenance transmissions per day and 1,440 sync transmissions per day. Duration of each maintenance transmission is 46 milliseconds, for a total of 12.52 seconds per day.
- Each sync transmission is 48 milliseconds, for a total of 69 seconds per day.
- These additional transmissions along with the original meter-read transmission total 83 seconds per day.
- The power output and duration of signal are well within Federal Communications Commission (FCC) guidelines for emissions exposure.
Regardless of the number of transmissions, the duration and power output of AMP's smart meters are well within FCC safe exposure levels. When we tested our meters, our readings were between 1 and 6 microwatts per square centimeter when 2 feet away from the meter, compared to the FCC limit of 601 microwatts per square centimeter.