View Other Items in this Archive |
View All Archives | Printable Version
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 6, 2017
Board Recommends Moving Utility Lines Underground in Seven Areas
Alameda’s District Nomination Board is recommending to a technical committee that overhead utility lines should be moved below ground in seven areas.
The board, which formed in June and completed its work in December, reviewed dozens of areas before it voted to recommend the following seven locations:
- Otis Drive (High to Broadway and south of Otis Drive)
- Webster Street (All crossings – Central Avenue to Eagle Avenue)
- Broadway (Buena Vista to Clement)
- Broadway (La Jolla to Encinal; La Jolla)
- Central Avenue (Eighth Street to Webster including Garden Way)
- Fernside (Encinal to High Street)
- Park St (San Jose to Otis)
The board was composed of four members of the public and one member of the Public Works Department. Its recommendations will now move to the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for review. Public feedback will be sought before the TAC sends a list of proposed districts to the City Council for final approval.
After the public process is complete, AMP plans to start construction in the selected districts in fiscal year 2018. Currently, about half of the city’s power lines are underground.
Senior Communications Specialist
Alameda Municipal Power
2000 Grand Street
Alameda, CA 94501
Office Phone: 510-814-6430
Alameda Municipal Power Website