Net Energy Metering Compensation & Billing
Alameda Municipal Power’s Net Energy Metering (NEM) compensation plan closed to new customers in August 2017. Existing NEM customers stay in the plan for 20 years from their interconnect date.
If you’re an existing NEM customer, you can find information on your compensation and billing. Plus, you can learn more about installing battery storage as a NEM customer.
Understanding the NEM Plan
NEM is a special rate plan for solar and renewable generation customers who were interconnected before July 31, 2017. By law, NEM was available to all new renewable self-generation customers until the total installed capacity was equal to a capacity value of 5% of aggregate customer demand. AMP’s NEM capacity value now surpasses AMP’s cap of 3.6 megawatts (MW).
Existing NEM customers stay in the plan for 20 years from their interconnect date. For detailed information, please refer to the NEM Rider (PDF).
How the Plan Works
Under NEM, AMP keeps track of all electricity flowing in and out of the property via your net kilowatt-hour (kWh) meter:
- Row 1 of this meter shows the meter reads from which AMP calculates the amount of energy (kWh) delivered (DEL) to you from AMP.
- Row 2 of this meter shows the meter reads AMP uses to calculate how much excess energy (kWh, solar energy generated that was not consumed by house load) was received (REC) by AMP and sent to the electric grid.
- If your net usage (DEL plus REC) is a positive number, this is the usage used to calculate your energy charge. If your net usage is a negative number, this is your usage used to calculate your energy credit.
When you generate more electricity than you use in a month:
- You get a credit at full retail rate value for the excess energy you export to the grid.
- This credit can be used to offset energy drawn from the grid during months when you use more than you generate.
Please note that a credit balance is not the true monetary value of any net surplus compensation. The true value will be reflected when the true-up is calculated on your annual interconnection anniversary.
Every 12 months, your Net Energy Use and Energy Charges are settled and returned to zero balance. AMP provides compensation for any remaining credits that were not used at a rate equal to the average of AMP’s purchases of renewable generation, currently $0.06062 cents per kilowatt hour.
Installing Battery Storage
All customers who have solar installations, including NEM customers, can apply to add a battery storage system to save solar energy for use at any time. The following also apply:
- The battery storage system must not send energy back to AMP’s distribution grid.
- The fee for NEM residential customers to add battery storage is $330.
- The fee for NEM commercial and multi-family customers to add battery storage is $660 (for solar installations up to 50 kilowatts).