Unplanned outages can be caused by many things-- storms, traffic accidents, damage to power lines, even metallic balloons caught in overhead wires. If your power goes out unexpectedly:
- Check your circuit breakers or fuses. Your power could be out because a circuit has tripped or a fuse has blown. If so, simply reset the circuit breaker or replace the fuse, and your power should be restored.
- Check if other houses or businesses in your street have lost power.
- If you’ve checked your circuits or fuses and they are properly connected, call 510-748-3900 to report an outage.
Report an Outage
If you’ve checked your circuits or fuses and they are properly connected, call 510-748-3900 to report an outage.
The information you provide can also help to determine why the power went out. Specific information such as what you saw or heard when the power went out can be relayed to our troubleshooters to help them locate the source of the problem quickly.
When you call, you may be asked for the following information:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- The approximate time the power was interrupted
- If the entire area is without power, or just your home
- If you saw or heard anything unusual when the power went out
- If you can see any power lines on the ground
During the Outage
- Switch off all appliances, but leave a light on to know when power is restored.
- Unplug sensitive equipment such as computers and plasma or LCDTVs.
- During widespread outages, use a battery-powered radio and listen to local radio for updates.
- Make sure you have candles, flashlights and batteries. Flashlights are best, but if you do have to light candles, keep an eye on them to avoid a fire - and ensure all candles are out before going to sleep.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator, to keep your food fresh.
Follow AMP on Facebook and Twitter for Outage Information
- AMP makes every effort to post up-to-date information about outages on both Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow us on both.
Be Prepared for an Outage
- You should keep your household prepared for a short power outage.
- Have basic supplies on hand such as a flashlights and extra batteries .
- Stock up on nonperishable food.
- Click here for more tips on being prepared for an outage...