Power Box Art: Energizing Alameda
Thanks to all those artists who submitted their work to Power Box Art. Submissions have now closed.
Across the country communities have been covering utility boxes with art to beautify their downtowns, transforming the ordinary into the extraordinary. The Power Box Art pilot program invited artists to re-energize 10 utility boxes in the Park Street Business District.
Selected artists are: Emily Bonnes, Delena Britnell, Nancy Crookston, Flavia Krasilchik, Clare Rickard, Chris Rummel, Stephen Seche, Jessica Warren, and Wesley Warren. 6-year-old Lars Petersen III was selected in the student category. All artists are Alameda residents.
Kick-off Celebration on September 12
An offcial kick-off celebrating the 10 new pieces of art will be held at Rhythmix Cultural Works at 2513 Blanding Ave, Alameda, CA 94501.
More details on this event will be available soon.
Art submissions reflected ways the community can reduce its carbon footprint through:
- Renewable power sources
- Cleaner transportation
- Recycling and reuse
- Shopping “Alameda local”
- Supporting local farmers, and
- Water and energy conservation
Submissions that did not reflect a "Green" theme were not considered.
- Artists must live or work in the City of Alameda
- One transformer box has been designated for student artwork (K-12).
- Artists will receive $500 honorarium.
- Artist’s name and title of artwork will be displayed on the transformer.
- Artist’s works will be reprinted on postcards that will be sold in shops along Park Street.
- Artwork will be featured in an “art walk” unveiling.
- Artist will be included in PowerBox Art Show at Rhythmix Cultural Works, K Gallery
Submissions closed on Monday, June 23 at 5 p.m.
- The 10 artists chosen will see their designs transferred to a large-scale vinyl film wrapped around a transformer box.
- Design Template – A template of a typical utility box diagram representing the four sides is provided as a guide.
- Each transformer is unique in size and shape with seams, doors and handles. Designs will have to be adjusted to fit. Selected artists will have to re-work their designs to fit a specific transformer. Selected artists must be available to re-work their design between July 2 and August 15.
- Artist name and website information along with sponsor name, logo and website name will be included in a 3” high white box along the width of one side of the box. This space is designated on a template to be added after artists are chosen and paired up with sponsors and boxes.
- Selected arrtists you will receive an email with instructions detailing next steps.