FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 19, 2018
Theft from Payment Boxes at Alameda Municipal Power Service Center
Two payment drop boxes at Alameda Municipal Power’s (AMP) Service Center at 2000 Grand St. were vandalized over the weekend.
The Alameda Police Department (APD) responded to a call on Sunday, Nov. 18 regarding a citizen who noticed that the drop boxes in the Service Center parking lot appeared to be open. Upon investigation, APD determined that the boxes had been pried open.
Customers who placed payments in the drop box from Friday, Nov. 16 after 3 p.m. to Monday, Nov. 19 at 8 a.m. may be affected by this incident and should immediately take the following steps:
- Contact your bank to inform them of the situation.
- Closely monitor your accounts and report any suspicious activity to your financial institution right away.
As of Monday, Nov. 19, AMP has suspended use of the drop box at the Service Center. Here are other ways that customers can pay their electricity bills:
- Over the phone: Call (510) 748-3900 to pay your bill over the phone using a check or credit/debit card (Visa or Mastercard only) using our free automated service, which is available 24/7.
- Online: Pay your bill on AMP’s website. Go to www.alamedamp.com/pay-online for details.
- In person: AMP offices are located at 2000 Grand St., Alameda. We are open during the following hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Please note: AMP offices will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday starting on Wednesday, Nov. 21 at noon and throughout the day on both Thursday, Nov. 22 and Friday, Nov. 23. The office will re-open on Monday, Nov. 26 at 8:30 a.m.
Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) is a department of the city of Alameda that has served residents and businesses for 131 years. AMP provides power to more than 34,000 customers at rates that average 17 percent below neighboring communities.
Contact: Kathleen Haley
Alameda Municipal Power